Rare early edition table lamp by Max Bill, manufactured in Switzerland around 1960.
This eye-catching piece has a white wooden base with four arms each holding a glass globe. It’s high quality materials, nicely designed shapes and luxurious appearance would make this lamp a beautiful addition to any midcentury modern interior.
In good original condition with minor wear consistent with age and use, preserving a beautiful patina.
Max Bill was one of the most unusual artists of our time. Acknowledged as an universal genius, he worked as an architect, painter, sculptor and product designer and has left behind an extensive portfolio of creations.
1936 Bill formulated the Principles of Concrete Art, as a refinement of the ideas published by Theo van Doesburg. Bill is one of the most important exponents of this art genre.
In 1937 he worked on a monograph on Le Corbusier and entered the association of modern Swiss artists “Allianz”. In 1944 Bill founded the journal “abstrakt konkret”. He also organized an exhibition in the Basel “Kunsthalle” under the same title and obtained a teaching position to teach “Formlehre” (theory of form) at the Zurich “Kunstgewerbeschule.”
As spiritual father and architect of the Ulm “Hochschule für Gestaltung” and as principal and head of the department for architecture and product form from 1952, Bill tried to continue the traditions of the Dessau Bauhaus. In 1959 and 1964 Max Bill participated in the Kassel documenta. In 1964 he was the head architect of the sector “Bilden und Gestalten” at the Swiss national exhibition in Lausanne.